Movies I Watched in the Last Week
1) SpongeBob SquarePants: Sponge Out of Water - Well... it's a SpongeBob movie. You know ahead of time if it's going to be something that'll appeal to you. If you want an actual deconstruction, I could tell you how it's not as tightly scripted as the first movie, but then again, I defer to point 1: if you like SpongeBob, or if you have kids, it's worth a watch.
My Rating: 3 / 5
2) Insurgent - I watched this for my side blog. At first I was going to give this a 2 / 5 and just write it off as being a crappy, but technically well-made movie. However, the more I think about it, the more I reaaaaaaaallly hate this goddamn movie. I think it may be in the running for the worst movie I see this year. And I know it's only January, but seriously, this movie blows.
My Rating: 0 / 5 (OBM)
3) Brick Mansions - It's amazing how the Americanized version of something can be so shitty even when it's very nearly a one-for-one remake. For any one else who's curious about whether or not District B13 translates: it doesn't. Nothing to see here.
My Rating: 1.5 / 5
4) The Expendables 3 - It's pretty stupid. You know this new team of Action Crew, Jr you're trying to push on us? You can keep it.
My Rating: 2 / 5
5) Mad Max: Fury Road - At last, I can believe the hype. Fury Road is every bit as inventive and thrilling as promised by the the hundreds of critics and fans who've spoken its praises since it was released. I'm sure nobody really needs my two cents to make up their mind, so I'll just wrap it up by saying I'm glad to have finally see it and I can't wait to watch it again.
My Rating: 5 / 5
6) Kingsman: The Secret Service - I liked the cast, Sam Jackson especially, and there were a couple of really good scenes. But mostly I didn't get a lot out of this movie. I think I was expecting the action movie envelope to have been pushed, whereas this movie just kind of blows on it and then walks away.
My Rating: 3.5 / 5
7) Stop Making Sense - The way people have described this to me, I was expecting a religious experience. I wasn't quite that impressed, but I did think it was a solid concert film. Maybe if I grew up listening to Talking Heads it would have meant more to me. Lulabelle really dug it, though. I haven't seen her sit still and watch any other movie with as much focus as she gave to David Byrne.
My Rating: 4 / 5
Total: 7 Movies
Minutes I Spent Writing in the Last Week
1) Untitled Post-Apocalyptic Novel - About one hour of writing. First draft length: 29,500 words.
Total: 1 Hour
The Winner: Movies...
Work has been busy again. Bleah.