Movies I Watched in the Last Week
1) Grave Encounters - I loved this movie. Maybe I'm just a sucker for ghost stories (even if I don't want to admit it), but there were so many great scares here. I'm going to have to gush about it more later, I think.
My Rating: 5 / 5
2) Hotel Transylvania 2 - I'll have to do an "I Got Here Late" on this one at some point. The short version: it's better than I expected, but with an unearned ending that undoes a lot of the character development that came before it and undercuts any kind of message it might have had. I'll give it a pass overall.
My Rating: 3 / 5
3) The King of the Kickboxers - I had heard about this one through various B movie / bad movie circles. It's as fun as I've heard. This is a perfect example of what I mean when I give something a "Not Actually Bad Movie" rating - there's some truly horrid parts of it (e.g., Loren Avedon's acting), but they work in context and the overall action and set pieces are all fantastic. It doesn't matter if you can criticize the logic or the packaging - it set out to be an ass-kicking good time, and that's exactly what it is. (Contrast with a Secret Comedy, which failed at what it set out to do, but ended up being enjoyable for other reasons.)
My Rating: 4 / 5 (NABM)
4) Underdogs - It's manic, silly, light on plot and character, and kind of a Tim Burton rip-off. But it's also fun. Underdogs has the kind of infectious energy that you need to bring when you try to get friends to watch soccer with you - before long, you'll stop asking questions about the mechanics of magically animated foosball players and their oddball quest, and you'll just cheer them on instead.
My Rating: 4 / 5
Total: 4 Movies
Minutes I Spent Writing in the Last Week
1) Untitled Revenge / Horror Story - About one hour of story planning and two hours of writing. Current draft length: About 20 pages.
2) Born Loser - About two hours of pre-publication work and revisions.
Total: 5 Hours
The Winner: Minutes!
Wow, I got a decent amount of work done and I enjoyed all the movies I watched. This was a pretty good week.